Saturday, January 06, 2007

i HEART debbie bliss

I started knitting about a year ago, after purchasing a starter kit on boxing day from Chapters. It was a Suss Cousins bag design. It was funky and I thought it might be fun to try... and it turned out a lot easier than I thought!

Since then I realized the pleasure of knitting baby things. Since so many of my friends were having babies, it seemed appropriate to knit for them. Plus, it was very satisfying to finish a project and since baby things - little socks, hats and sweaters - were so much smaller, I got to finish so much faster!

That's when I discovered Debbie Bliss. Her baby designs are adorable and simple to follow, and her yarns are beautiful and come in a variety of yummy colours! I just finished this pink cardigan (shown above) for our baby from her book: Baby Knits For Beginners. I had picked up the yarn (a Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino) at a closing sale of a yarn shop in downtown Oakville earlier this fall.

Perhaps these little handmade items I give our baby will allow me to reflect on the different stages of her childhood. As she grows in and out them, I can remember what I was doing and thinking when I made each of them.

For now, since I have a lot of time on my hands, I started a new project this morning - a little daisy hat.

No comments: