Sunday, January 28, 2007

learnings from week 2

Two weeks have passed and I can't believe it. My life is so different now, but I can't imagine how it could be any better. It's amazing how much has happened in such a short time!

1. Breastfeeding does get easier - after 2 weeks of adjusting to cracked and bleeding nipples, I've learned that it does get easier, so ladies just stick with it! I've compared the discomfort (mildly stated) to having your nipples pinched with pliers and then pulled. Perhaps it's all in the "initiation" women must go through to become a new mom. So far I haven't spoken to any mom who didn't feel a little pain with early breastfeeding - some enough to hang up the nursing bra for good!

2. Tanking up is a good thing - filling up Kayla right before bedtime is starting to work. So far we've had a few nights in a row with only one feeding between midnight and 6 am. Hopefully a sign of a good start.

3. Time flies when you're taking care of baby - I naively thought (pre-birth) that I would have a lot of time on my hands during my maternity leave. If, however, I put the hours I have to myself that wasn't totally devoted to taking care of Kayla - between the feeding, changing, burping, washing, sterilizing, pumping, playing, and putting her to sleep - I could add up the hours of "me" time to about 2 hours total in a given day. I never expected this, however, I can't complain, because her little "gas-induced" smiles are priceless!

4. Midwives are the best! One of the best parts of having midwifery care is the postpartum care. Just for the fact that they come to you in your own home, makes it the best experience possible. I can't imagine having to leave the house (especially after a c-section) in the middle of winter and trekking out to the doctor's office these first 2 weeks.

No comments: