Thursday, January 25, 2007

pampers or huggies?

Diapers make good baby shower gifts. I discovered this during the first weeks of motherhood as I realized how many diapers babies go through. Since I had received a few different samples at my shower I had the opportunity to test the leading diaper brands - Pampers and Huggies - and learned that I much preferred Pampers for Kayla.

Why? Well... I found that the Pampers diaper was taller at the back (for those explosive poos that ride up her back) and hugged her legs better (for keeping in those pesky leaks). We had a few "accidents" with Huggies and none yet with the Pampers brand.

Another benefit of Pampers - they have a rewards program. Product codes translate to points which can be redeemed for free gifts like toys and books.

Also, an informal survey amongst other moms revealed that most moms of boys preferred Huggies, whereas moms of girls tend to lean towards Pampers. Interesting... huh? My guess - it must be anatomy. Let me know if you agree.

Happy diaper days!

6 comments:

3bigboys said...

I'm a mom of 3 boys (8, 4 and 6 months) and I'm a Pampers fan too. They seem to keep those 'little' explosions in one place more consistently, especially once they start to sit up. Even so, we had the up the back to the collar and back down 1 sleeve experience just last weekend! Oh, the joys only a mother can love...

gaily_cs said...

Hi Flora,

Great site! Just read thru it all.. Wish I did the same thing when Mercer was born! I love Debbie Bliss too :)

Have you ever considered cloth diapers? We use them for Mercer. He's nine months now and we've only had to buy diapers around 5 times since he was born. We mostly only used them while we were moving back and forth between Ottawa and Markham. If you want any info about them, let me know. This is a great site:

http://www.extraordinarybabyshoppe.com/

As for what we buy when we do... PAMPERS! I think they smell better :)

Hayden's mom said...

I have a boy too and I prefer Pampers. Although, we still get the occasional explosive "up the back" poops, Pampers works best overall. We tried Huggies and found it leaked pee -- something that never happened with Pampers. I also like the tabs on Pampers way better. By the way, for those moms that use Pampers, you can get coupons sent to you by going to http://www.save.ca/pampers1_en/prodpage.php. The value of the coupons change every once in a while, but the savings add up in the long run!

sugar mama said...

We will also have a Pampers kid. I can't explain why I've decided so firmly before baby arrives... maybe it's that I was a Pampers kids, branding/reviews, even the cute Sesame Street characters! Everyone I've talked to has a major brand love for diapers and sticks to it. I mostly hear Pampers, and it's mostly for girls. Coincidence? Hmm... :)

New Mama said...

Thanks for the coupon tip, Karen!

Mom of Aidan & Colin said...

Not true about preference and anatomy! I have boys only and learned early on that Pampers were better for the same reasons and also they smell nicer. Huggies has no smell which equated to a smelly little baby as soon they did a "number 1" even! Diaper changing is no fun so there is no need to change even more unnecessarily. Not to also mention it is a waste and costly too!!