Monday, March 19, 2007

the BIG two month check

I always look away when given a needle. And today, when Kayla got her first round of immunization shots, I looked away too.

I had been preparing myself all weekend for this trip to the paediatrician. My babe was getting two needles, one in each thigh. I was dreading it so much that I made hubby come home from work at lunch to go with us.

Some moms had told me their babies didn't bat an eye when injected. Others said theirs cried bloody murder. I was preparing for the worst.

The first shot was in the left thigh and Kayla cried briefly (but tolerably). Our dr warned us that the second shot would hurt more. I held my babe down on the exam table, looked away and she injected Kayla with the second needle. Kayla cried louder and longer this time. Hubby and I looked at each other and both said at the same time... bathing was WORSE! I was amazed and relieved at the same time.

The bad news, however, was yet to come. It seems that our babe has eczema (very common in babies). I had figured as much because her skin had been very dry over the past couple of weeks with yellow crusty stuff appearing and disappearing periodically. Here comes the bad news... part of the treatment was to bath her daily (only for 5-10 minutes) in water and baby oil. Did she say bath her DAILY! OMG! This was going to be torture. How will we live through it?!

1 comment:

Karen said...

congrats on getting through the first round of shots! it's always painful to see your child suffering... luckily they don't remember the pain...