Thursday, March 29, 2007

i choose the boob

Kayla has decided (quite independently and without consulting her parents) that she doesn't like the bottle anymore. She prefers the boob.

I had planned to breast feed until at least 6 months (and she what happens from there) but I really didn't expect this. Especially since we were supplementing her with a bottle daily (almost since she was 3 weeks old) up until about 3 weeks ago.

Yesterday, while out shopping, I tried to give her a bottle and she flat out refused. She litterly spit the nipple out of her mouth and started screaming at the top of her lungs. I was quite embarrassed as we were out in public. I tried once more and again the same reaction. So I took her home, suspecting that something was up. To make sure, I tried the bottle again once we got home and the same thing.

I should have guessed this was happening because last week, while I was out enjoying St. Patrick's day with the girls, Roland said she wasn't hungry when I got home. He had tried to feed her and she didn't want to eat. At the time I didn't think anything of it, but now we suspect the relationship.

So, I've been researching how to get her back on the bottle for the convenience factor. Once in a while I'd like to have the option of staying out for longer than 3 hours sans baby (is that selfish of me?). However, it would seem that Kayla is fighting to not let this happen. Already a determined girl at 2 1/2 months!

According to one strategy, try giving the bottle, starting in the morning for every hour until she accepts it. This means no boob supplement either.

Humm... not such a good idea because that would really mess up her sleep schedule and I'm very happy with the way she's sleeping at night so far. I'm not sure I'd sacrifice freedom for lack of sleep and a fussy baby. So, I suppose I just keep trying at least once a day. Heck, if she can get off it that quickly, maybe she'll get right back to it just as fast! (A girl can dream, can't she?)

1 comment:

sugar mama said...

I don't blame you for wanting to get her back on a supplementary bottle. Maybe you could also try a different brand of bottle/nipple? I've heard some babies only like a certain brand and reject others...