Friday, June 15, 2007

coming out

Since blogging about our new sleep routine I've had a few moms (and dads) admit to me that they've practiced (or at least tried) similar approaches with their own babes. I didn't realize until now it might be taboo to talk about it. Why? Perhaps out of some kind of shame or guilt for letting their babies cry?

It's stunning that this very publicized sleep training technique causes so much debate, anguish and conflict for parents. I know I was very reluctant to try it myself. But now I'm beginning to see some of the positive effects. Kayla is easier to put to sleep (although I can't say she really sleeps any longer... yet) and I'm not up in the middle of the night forcing her to sleep when she doesn't want to, so at least I can get a little shut-eye too. Although the downside, it has been quite difficult to watch her go through it. I'm grateful that each night gets easier - sometimes not even crying at all!

I realize now that parenting comes down to what each individual feels comfortable doing for their own family. You can read all the books available and talk to experts, doctors and friends, but in the end, it's up to you to decide what is best for your own child. One method isn't any better than the next, they're just different, and no one should feel shame or guilt about their parenting style because after all, we're all just figuring it out.

No comments: