Tuesday, March 25, 2008

my bitch session

So I just have to come out and say it... if you ever, ever consider visiting a travel clinic for advice or care, my advice... DON'T!

They don't give out consistent advice, they don't know what they're talking about, and they're set up by doctors and administrators who aren't able to set up a proper practice and just looking for money. Okay, I've said my peace.

So what's the story? In planning for our upcoming family getaway, I've been researching possible travel precautions for Baby K. So in an attempt to get her the right vaccines I contacted a local travel clinic who told me we would need to come in for a consultation. Fine.

However, when they told me about the fee structure, I was floored. They wanted us to pay double the consultation fee because I would need to accompany K to the session. Well of course I would need to go too - she's only 14 months old! So even though the advice and vaccines would only be for her, we would need to pay for a couple because I was coming too! If they could show me how a 14 month old would be able to go by herself and I would gladly pay! So ridiculous!

And this was not just one clinic... I called several to see if the policies were the same. They were, except that the fees varied from clinic to clinic. Even crazier! By the end of the day, I was pretty peeved.

In the end, K's doc was able to provide the vaccines after all, so all is good, but the whole experience baffles and shocks me to no end! Still does. Okay, enough said... thanks for your indulgence!

No comments: