Monday, April 07, 2008

sunday night fever

K had her first fever yesterday. I know, many of you moms are thinking, "Wow, first fever after 14 months, count yourself lucky" but it was pretty hard on me. Never having gone through it before, I was a little unprepared. I wasn't even certain what temperature constituted a high fever to begin with!

And to top it off, I had to leave her at the peak of her discomfort. I was already committed to a bachelorette party for my future sister-in-law. I felt like a terrible mother! After giving her a dose of Tempra, I had to leave her in hubby's care, screaming and crying. I thought about her the whole night; how could I not?

But in the end she was fine. Kids are pretty resilient, aren't they? But that doesn't really relive the guilt or the worry, does it?

When I returned home, hubby reported that her fever had broke by 8:00pm and she went to bed without a hitch. She was completely asleep when I went to check on her (several times) when I returned.

As a mother, you can never escape the guilt, the concerns. But the joys make all the worrisome nights worthwhile.

No comments: